On July 13, 1891 a group of farmers assembled at the courthouse in Carlisle, KY “for the purpose of organizing a mutual protection association for the protection of isolated property from fire, lighting or wind”. They were motivated by a desire to combat unfair claim practices and the excessive premiums charged on farm properties. F.M. Hurst was chosen as General Agent and Secretary and in recognition of his efforts organizing the Company, the name “Hurst Home Insurance” was adopted. Before the end of that year the Company had issued its first policies.
In 1892, Hurst Home Insurance filed its Articles of Incorporation designating Millersburg, KY as its general office. Insurance was to be provided in the counties of Bourbon, Nicholas, Bath, Montgomery, Clark, Madison, Fayette, Jessamine, Scott and Harrison.
As an assessment company, in the beginning the Company would wait for losses to occur and then assess the membership for their portion of each claim. In 1910 the statutes were amended to allow “advance assessments” in order to meet unexpected losses. In 1912 the Company wrote 4.5 million dollars of insurance coverage and maintained a reserve fund of $20,000.
In 1927, the Company constructed an office building at 189 North Upper Street in Lexington, KY and relocated to this location.
In August of 1978 the Board of Directors passed a resolution to authorize the Company to do business in all counties within the state of Kentucky.
Since its founding in 1891, only seven men have served as chief executive officer of the Company. The strong leadership of these men has seen the Company grow to writing five million dollars of premium and increasing its surplus to over twenty-five million dollars.